Skip to main content

Harry Potter Crafts #1: Advanced Potion Making by Libatius Borage (Hogwarts Potionbook)

While my mates and colleagues are all doing something or the other to help them get a job three years from now (or even before that, depending on the person concerned) (FYI, I'm in the first year of my Bachelor's programme as I write this post), I have been whiling my time away doing unproductive work (which effectively means that I'm doing nothing). They are building their skill sets so their resume gets laden with attractive features while I am still figuring out how to make a resume.
So, these holidays, the least I could do was to complete my unfinished works if I was not going to start anything new. One of these works was a handwritten manuscript of Hogwarts potion-book "Advanced Potion Making" which Harry and friends use in their sixth year of schooling.

I was always fascinated with the potions depicted in the books and movies and as a child, I used to pray for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be real. Of course, I eventually realised that it couldn't happen, and though I could not build an entire Hogwarts for myself, I could fabricate some of those magical items that I was so fascinated with. Thus began a magical journey in the life of a muggle which has lasted for 6 years and will hopefully continue if responsibility doesn't demolish creativity. 

The first item that I made was a spontaneously drawn map of Hogwarts. Many other items followed, but this post is dedicated to the latest and, in my opinion, the best that I have ever made. I was not alone in this endeavour; the best product was made possible with help from the internet and from tutorials posted by helpful individuals. Due credit is given to them at the end of this post. 

Presenting, the handwritten manuscript of Libatius Borage's Advanced Potion Making:























The book contains all the material that a Hogwarts textbook for the Potions subject should contain: description of ingredients, recipes of potions and antidotes and some appendices at the end. I was also inclined towards the idea of using alchemist symbols in the book since everything in the magical world exudes an aura of archaicness. This prompted me to minimise anything artificial, or at least make it look like it's handmade. Except the cover, nothing else looks artificial, which is why I call it a "handwritten manuscript". It might even give an impression that Libatius Borage himself wrote it :P.  

Here are the links that helped greatly in giving this book a tangible form. These links are quite old, though, so some of them may be broken now:

Cover printable:
http://rag-rose.blogspot.in/2014/09/advanced-potion-making.html

Bookbinding tutorials: 
http://jamesdarrow.deviantart.com/art/Bookbinding-Tutorial-292237490
Sea Lemon on YouTube
Specifically, I used the kettle stitch binding technique.

Recipes and other potion-related information:
Harry Potter Wikia
https://www.hp-lexicon.org/
http://hol.org.uk/library_writing.php?view=write&readbook=59
http://www.snitchseeker.com/term-25-may-july-2010/potions-recipe-book-74836/
I couldn't find suitable recipes for the Wolfsbane Potion and Veritaserum on the web, so I made my own. You can use them as you desire. Mail me or let me know in the comments section if you want the recipes. I will be glad to help out!

That was it! Feedback is forever welcome, do let me know what you think about my effort. I will keep on posting more "Harry Potter Crafts" in the future so if you're interested, follow me on Google+ to receive updates about the same.
Cheers!




Comments

  1. Thats really impressive! Good luck with your future projects. And yeah if you ever wanna sell it then you got a buyer right here��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here from reddit. Awesome work avinash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this on Reddit and honestly, no regrets, just amazed and impressed. Love the work and your dedication. Kudos to you sir!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts on Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered [PC Version]

So, What's New? Every time a game or franchise is remade, rebooted or remastered, there's a general sense of wonderment and curiosity about the novelties it may bring along. This sense was even more heightened for Spider-Man since he has been around for a long time, even before some of us were born. So that element of nostalgia for this superhero piques our curiosity even further when we hear about anything new that he has to offer. I grew up watching the Sam Raimi movies, even begging my uncle to take me to watch Spiderman 3 since it featured a whole new suit, and Spider-Man (released for Windows in 2001) was one of my first ever PC games. I remember pressing 9 on the numpad to get Spidey to swing to the next building. In that game, web swinging was limited to a maximum of 2 web lines being shot. If Spidey didn't get to the rooftop by then, he'd fall to his death. The reason I'm talking about this specific mechanism is that it's the best thing about the 2022 ve

Repercussions:A visual novel

My first visual novel Here's my first visual novel entitled "Repercussions." You can download it from here: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id= 0B30Vjsj0fD9mcGV3SDRYRkN4Z2M For those of you who are hearing the term "Visual Novel" for the first time, check the help section in the main menu of the game. I hope you enjoy the game. My e-mail and the comment box are always open for any feedback-positive or negative-,suggestions, advice or problems.  Do provide a feedback. It'll help me to improve your "Visual Novel Experience". P.S. "When you click the link given above, a message "Google can't scan this file for viruses." may appear. Don't be afraid of any virus entering your PC. Still, to be on the safe side, you can scan the file after downloading it and once again after extracting it if you really suspect me of having intentions to infect your PC with viruses. :P Anyhow, enjoy the g